PEARLS OF WISDOM

"WHOEVER SAID MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS HAS NEVER OWNED A HORSE."

Monday, September 27, 2010

CAMAS LAKES HIKE

It was such a nice fall day that I had to go for a hike.  Went up to the three Camas Lakes in the Lost Horse area south of Hamilton.  I don't think I have ever been to these lakes.  The first one is an easy hike (2 1/2 miles) on a good trail - the second and third are a bit harder.  There is no designated trail, but there is a faint one in many places and some cairns or (schtie manlys in german - phonetically at least) on the slick rock.  But there is one boulder patch that one has to cross between the first and second lake.  That was the hardest part of the hike at least for me.  Of course when I got to that section - being the helicopter pilot I am - thought the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.  Well, it may be shorter, but it is a lot longer in the time category.  The boulders got to be as big as VWs and getting through them was a bit tricky.  On the way back, I went around the lakes edge and it was a lot easier AND faster.  Like I said, the trail between the upper lakes is faint in many places and no maintenance.  I had to back track a couple of times and try and pick up the trail again.  The upper lake is about 4 miles in.  But great views on the whole hike.

The fall colors were really out.  The huckleberry bushes were bright reddish orange, the quakies and the larch were yellow, and lots of other plants had colors in between.  It was also warm.  I hiked in my t-shirt all day.  When I got back into Hamilton about 1600 a thermometer said 95.  It was 86 on our thermometers when I got home.  Pretty warm for the last part of September.

Anyway, I had a great hike.  I was the only one up there.  Pretty neat. 

The boulder patch I went over going up.


The boulders along the lake shore, much smaller and easier to navigate through.

The good part of the trail.



The first lake.


It was so warm, the lizards were out sunning themselves!


The upper lake.


It was pretty windy at the third lake so I got behind some trees for lunch and this was my view to the east looking down on the second lake.  There are a lot of larch (also called tamarack) at that elevation (7575).

No comments: