PEARLS OF WISDOM

"WHOEVER SAID MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS HAS NEVER OWNED A HORSE."

Saturday, May 07, 2011

A COUPLE OF FIRSTS

Connie saw the first Arrowleaf Balsamroot flower yesterday.  We kind of keep track when we see this flower as it is a real sure sign of spring around here.  And it is all over the place.  Last year it was 22 April when we saw them really blooming.  Then I saw an osprey in one of our dead trees on my morning walk.  We see them all the time down on the river, but never up here in the pine trees and rocks.  It was interesting that it had a squirrel that it had caught and flew away with it then came back to the same tree and landed.  Just watched me walk under it.  Of course I did not have a camera with me.  We also got to see some elk up very close yesterday morning.  They are sure looking pretty scraggly and rough as they are also shedding their winter hair just like our horses.  I came upon them as I topped a sagebrush covered knoll and saw them before they saw me.  Watched them for quite a bit then Connie came by and saw I was watching something so joined me behind a sagebrush.

Another sure sign of spring is that I started irrigating yesterday.  We are quite dry right now as the wind has been blowing everyday and no rain.  It did sprinkle a bit last night so that also will help.  Lots of snow in the mountains still.  Hope it goes off slow so we don't have any flooding of creeks and the river.

The 2011 first Arrowleaf Balsamroot.

No comments: