PEARLS OF WISDOM

"WHOEVER SAID MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS HAS NEVER OWNED A HORSE."

Friday, May 27, 2011

WOLF TRACKS

When Zeus and I were out walking this morning we spied some wolf tracks in the mud (well I did - the blind dog maybe not) .  These are not the first ones I have seen around here and probably not the last.  Also got to see about 8 mule deer at what we call sagebrush flat.  That in its self is pretty unusual to see that many this low.  Of course the standard whitetail deer and elk we also seen.  Of course did not have a camera with me this morning.

We now have a resident tom turkey and two hens that have decided they are going to stick around here for the oats that the horses spill out when eating out of the feed pans.  The old tom really likes to show off his feathers and strut around.  I think he actually likes his picture taken (I won't tell you how many pictures I have of him).  The hens are pretty well habituated as they were right there when I fed the horses this morning.  The horses are not a bit afraid of them anymore.  When the turkeys first showed up a few years ago, the horses were pretty spooked, but now they take them in stride.  Bill Cody was actually chasing one in the corral this morning. 

He really thinks he is something.

A whitetail buck sneaking in for some violet salad.  Me and Zeus got him ran off though.

Too bad the old tom is missing a tail feather.

No comments: