PEARLS OF WISDOM

"WHOEVER SAID MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS HAS NEVER OWNED A HORSE."

Friday, February 24, 2012

GOOD POWDER DAY ON THE SLOPES

The Lost Trail website said 36+ inches of snow for our Thursday powder day.  Don't know if it was that much, but it was certainly a pretty darn good day.  Although we had a lot of folks coming from as far away as Sandpoint, Idaho and Big Sky, Montana to help us track it up.  And those are just the people I rode up with on the first chairs of the day.  Lots of lines for our little resort.  I was on the 6th chair so got to get a couple of runs in some untracked powder.  Met Ike, Brenda, and Connie at 1015 at the top of chair 2 and made a few runs.  They were late opening chair 4 so we grabbed a quick early lunch then headed over to that side of the mountain.  And while standing in line talked to and old Vietnam buddy who was down here skiing from Missoula that I had not seen in a couple of years.  Made a few runs with him and got caught up on what has been going on with him and his family.  He is a good skier and we made some fast runs out in Sacjac.  It was a great ski day.

While walking this morning, I came upon the rafter of turkeys who were right in with the horses.  By the time I got my camera out I had missed the best picture of some toms standing around Baylee.  A couple of years ago the horses were really afraid of the turkeys as they had not seen them.  Now they pay no attention to each other.

The powder got tracked up pretty fast.

Dale and I flew rescue helicopters in Vietnam together.  In fact, he showed me the ropes of combat flying and some evasive flying maneuvers that would come in handy later in my tour.

Brenda, Connie, and Dale.

The turkeys and the horses.

When I got back from my walk the turkeys were in the yard so the old blind cowdog and I had to chase them out of there.  He really thinks he is doing something!

Some of the toms strutting around when Gary and I drove back from feeding.

No comments: