PEARLS OF WISDOM

"WHOEVER SAID MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS HAS NEVER OWNED A HORSE."

Friday, December 18, 2015

FIRST SKIING OF THE YEAR

Went skiing Thursday for the first time this year, and it is the first time I have skied since February 2014.  In the fall of 2014 I had a knee replaced so missed the ski season of 2014-15.  There were 24 inches of new light powder on the hill, but the crowd was just amazing.  I knew I had to get my season pass picture taken and all that stuff so left a little bit early from home for the drive up to the resort.  I encountered some pretty slick roads so did not arrive as early as I had hoped, but arrived at my usual time about 0845.  When arriving at that time, I usually park in the first or second row.  Not this time.  I was in the 4th or 5th row and could not believe how many cars were already in the parking lot.  Come to find out, Snowbowl ski resort in Missoula had closed because of a lack of snow and Discovery Ski Hill near Phillipsburg was not opening until Saturday.  So our little resort was the only one open in this area and they (our ski resort) had been tweeting and emailing about all this fresh powder so it was just a zoo.  I have never seen so long of lines and the lodge being that crowed.  Half of the population of Missoula was there I think - and most of the college kids still in the area.  I think a lot of people called in sick at work also.

The skiing was just great though.  That 24 inches of light powder was just what I needed to start my year off.  And I got to ski with Tom Devine who is a native Montana guy who was also an Air Force Pilot and is in the American Legion with me.  And a very good skier.  (Used to race for the Montana State ski team back in the day.)  I think I only got to ski three runs before noon because of the long lift lines but they were some really good ones.  I left right after lunch time because it was so crowded.  But am looking forward to more skiing this year.  It is one of my passions you know.

Only took time to take one picture all day when we ran into Ike and Brenda.  Tom is on the right.  


No comments: