PEARLS OF WISDOM

"WHOEVER SAID MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS HAS NEVER OWNED A HORSE."

Friday, January 29, 2016

UPDATE 29 JANUARY 2016

It has bee a little while since I have updated this blog so thought I would give it a try.  Been doing some skiing but have not taken very many pictures.  Skiing by myself doesn't lend itself to picture taking.  And most of the time when skiing with others, we just don't stop while doing powder runs.  And the rest of the pictures are ones that I scanned while working on another project.

The only picture taken in 4 times skiing.  This is when we are all done and having a bite to eat before we head home.  It was a cold powder day with the wind really blowing.


 Back in 1975 I was one of the pilots flying this helicopter down to Hollywood for the interior shots and some sound things they could only do down there for the movie Airport 75.  From left to right: the stunt man, Scotty one of the PJs, George Kennedy, Ralf (flight engineer) Charlton Heston, Don(PJ#2), Bob Smith (pilot), and myself (pilot).  Really enjoyed talking to George Kennedy as he was just a great person and liked to hang out with our crew.  Most of the filming was done in Utah and most of us instructor pilots participated.  Since I was the scheduler, I saved my flying for going down to Hollywood!



Kennedy signing an autograph for our admin officer standing behind him.

Pictures of the movie folks working around the aircraft. 



My official retirement ceremony at the Air Force Base.

And the REAL retirement ceremony at the cabin.

Zeke and I sharing a little champagne.

And him congratulating me on my retirement and joining the Pro Leisure Circuit.  It is coming up on 25 years that Connie and I have been on the circuit.  That is 5 years longer than I was in the Air Force.

Me and another of the 71st pilots down at Deep Creek catching our limit of king salmon.  This is probably 1978.

This picture should be the last in this sequence as this is when Gary, Connie, and I got back from a pack trip along the Ravalli and Granite county divide trail.  We started up the east fork of the Bitterroot  and rode to the top and along the ridge line that divides the two counties in the Saffire Mountains to the head of Willow Creek and then rode on down to Gary's place.  It was over 60 miles and we spent 6 days doing it.

The horses with feed bags on.  We tie them to an overhead picket line during the night and when feeding them their grain or saddling and unsaddling.

This place is called the Rooster Comb and  was one of the hardest parts of the trail to get the horses down this rock slide.

At the bottom of the comb.

Over at the ranch milking one of the red cows to get colostrum for her weak calf.

Suckling a calf whose mother was not a good mother.  This is the squeeze chute at the board shed calving lot as is the one above.




No comments: